Below is a clear and concise guide to various snacking strategies for fat loss, maintenance and for adding lean muscle mass. As the nutritional approach we often use at Embody is a customised low carbohydrate approach, all the choices are in accordance with the criteria typically associated with these protocols.
When dieting, your snack choices are critical as you don’t have an abundance of calories to play with and volume of food is an ever present issue. Select a snack high in fats and you dramatically decrease the amount of available calories for the rest of the day. Three great snack options when dieting are therefore:
- White fish e.g Prawns, precooked calamari, cold cuts of chicken and turkey.
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Green veg Juice (homemade)
- Guacamole made from 1 whole avocado & vegetables
- Humus with Vegetables
- Protein Pancakes (see recipe at the bottom of this article)
- Home roasted & slated Almonds in turmeric
- Oat cakes and nut butter
- Half a pot of dairy free cream cheese with scoop of protein powder, 1tbs of cashew nut butter, 1tbs of coconut oil and teaspoon of stevia.
Protein Pancake Recipe
- 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
- Half a cup of egg whites
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda
Written by David Lewis